Entering my junior year in college things started to change and became more serious. I, all of the sudden, had to start thinking about life after college. I thought to myself why is everyone trying to push this I am only a junior in college. But in order to make it in the real world after school you need to accomplish some things first. First it’s important to get started by creating a resume for yourself. This is something that you need to have multiple copies of whenever you go to interview for a job. Here are a few tips to have a flawless resume:
- In order to get started you need to form your resume. Most people don’t know exactly how a resume is supposed to look. A helpful hint is to visit your school’s career center. They have experts who will help you type up your resume in the correct format and advise you where to look for possible interviews.
- Once you get your resume put together it’s wise to get more than one opinion on it. Send it to people you know who have a job in the real world. It’s always good to get as much help as you can so that it is perfect.
- Any club, job, service work, or any extracurricular experience you have must go onto your resume. This shows what kind of person you are to the possible employers you will meet and how you work with others.
- Always update your resume! This tip is most important because you need to put as much on there as you can. Having lots of things that you have done on your resume looks good to anyone you interview with.
Now after you get your resume all settled and perfected next you need to know how to handle the interview process. Here are some important tips:
- Dress nicely. You need to have a good first impression when you walk into any room, especially a potential job.
- Be confident in yourself. I know it may be nerve wracking walking into an interview and not knowing what to expect but if you take a deep breath and tell yourself you can do this then it will instill confidence in yourself and you will do great!
- Keep eye contact while talking to the interviewer.
- Ask questions to the interviewer also. It’s good to show that you are interested in the company and that you want to know more.
- Practice a mock interview with a friend because practice makes perfect.
Well there you have it! Some simple, yet often overlooked tips for resume and interview success. Now let’s go get our dream job!